Oh yes, I'm a Christmas baby. No, I wasn't born a week before Christmas or even a day before or after Christmas. No, no—I was born on December 25th! If you're someone else who shares your birthday with Christmas, I know how you feel—really, I do. It's everyone else that doesn't get it! So to help those of you who weren't born on Christmas Day, here's a thorough list of 23 reasons why it completely sucks to have your special day on Christmas.
1. Uh, maybe because it falls on the biggest holiday of the year???
2. You don't get your own special day like most everyone else, so you don't have that special day to look forward too.
3. People try to solve your dilemma by suggesting to celebrate your birthday on June 25th. I wish I could, but my son's birthday is on June 25th.
4. Everyone else gets to open gifts ON YOUR BIRTHDAY!
5. You have to give gifts to everyone else ON YOUR BIRTHDAY! (and sometimes even people that forgot your birthday, which brings us to #6.)
6. Everyone forgets it's your birthday!
7. When did it become acceptable to pull a 2-for-1 deal? "Oh, by the way—here's your birthday AND Christmas gift." Oh how you forget that you have a birthday coming up....
8. Do stores not sell birthday wrapping paper and supplies during the Christmas season!? For goodness sake, stop wrapping our birthday gifts in Christmas paper!
9. Nothing worthwhile is open, so you can't go out to celebrate even if you wanted to.
10. Oh, speaking of places not being open—If your turning sixteen, don't plan on getting your driver's license on your actual birthday or even the day after for that matter!
11. Turning 21? Don't plan on celebrating this huge birthday milestone on your actual big day. Remember #10, the DMV's closed on your birthday and at least a day after. So you have extra time to practice that perfect smile!
Now before you say "Oh, come on—bars will let you in when they see that your license just expired and your birthdays on Christmas." Nope, been there done that. I was told I looked nothing like my photo on my driver's license. When you think about it, we do physically change quite a bit from 16-21 (that's five years!)
12. For some of us...we're stuck with "those" family members on our birthday.
13. When you're at your extended family's for Christmas they forget your birthday cake. So what do they do instead? Shove some candles in a pumpkin or apple pie. Yeah, no thanks!
14. When someone finds out you were born on Christmas they look at you like your alien from outer space and ask "That's gotta suck having your birthday on Christmas huh? No shit Sherlock! Even better—"You're a Christmas baby? How special!" Wait, special for who because it's certainly not for me.
15. Having someone tell you they know how you feel because their birthday's on Ground Hog's day. I just have to laugh out loud for this one!
16. Explaining to everyone your entire life, why you hate having your birthday on Christmas. It get's annoying after awhile people.
17. Since most of your friends are with their family, you don't get to see them on your birthday.
18. How about getting at most, an hour to actually celebrate your birthday?
19. You miss out on all your in-store birthday freebies. I do have to say that there are few stores that are fine with honoring your birthday freebie a few days after (those stores rock, just sayin'.)
20. You get all your gifts on one stinking day! You actually get gift overload! Then you have to wait a whole 365 days until you get gifts again.
21. Some people make you feel guilty that you were born on Christmas when they mention to you a billion times how broke they are from holiday shopping. It's almost like their secret code that says "Hey, I'm not getting you anything for your birthday this year."
22. Christmas decorations EVERYWHERE!
23. If you're a parent with young kids, you never get to have your children bring you breakfast in bed for your birthday.
HOWEVER, I would like to make it known that growing up as a child, my parents were very good at making time for birthday on Christmas day. Never once did my parents wrap my birthday gifts in Christmas wrap. Now that I'm an adult and married, my husband also does what he can to make feel special. And I can always count on my wonderful mother in-law to find that perfect Hallmark Christmas birthday card. Yes, there are actually birthday cards made specifically for Christmas babies! (at least we have that lol!) It's these people that I am so grateful to share my life with.
So now that you know how Christmas babies actually feel about being born on this holiday, put yourself in their shoes and think about you'd feel.
For all you Christmas babies, just remember it could be worse...you could have been a leap-year baby!
Either way, have a safe and very happy holiday! ;)
If you're a Christmas baby, I want to hear from you! How do you feel about having your birthday on Christmas? Or, do you know someone who hates having their birthday on Christmas? Let me know by leaving your comments below. I always love hearing from you!